Saturday, April 30, 2011

Merida

I arrived in Merida, walking over a beautiful modern bridge that was less then a kilometer from a roman bridge still used for pedestrians.  This was a preview of  the entire city, which is modern and well maintained and filled with ruins from the Romans the Moors and the Visigoths.  The sun has been shining too so almost everything is well.
I arrived by bus to give my blistered right foot a rest.  Mary and our new family of Michael and Paul arrived by foot shortly after noon, and we started to tour the city.  I had a long story of all we saw but lost the post before it was saved.  Just check out Mary´s blog.  She tells about them.  We toured the city that afternoon and then saw a fabulous museum on the next day before heading out to Alucen, a 20 kilometer trek in the heat.  My blisters got worse, so I decided to jump ahead on a bus to Caraces, another ancient city.  The rest of the family arrived today. Paul and Michael leave for Sevilla on Monday, as Paul will be back in school on Tues.
We discovered that Extremadura means extra difficult, and is a little tougher than the Camino Frances.  We are planning a new method of attack so we can enjoy the rest of our trip. 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Barb,
    It's Megan. I am following under Frany's account, she has a gmail address. How exciting for you! I will be reading every day. I am inspired to do the trek myself! Keep plugging away... I've been reading about it. I think it's the one Shirley Maclaine once did, yes? How very cool.

    ReplyDelete