Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Zamora

Yesterday,  Mary and I walked 15 kilometers in the beginning of the Meseta, prairie like farm land with large grain operations, irrigation and tiny rural villages.  Walking was great, with grand vistas and more lovely wild flowers lining the roads.  The day started out cool and cloudy and became cool and sunny.  The villages were close enough together that we could stop frequently. I could not have asked for better conditions to begin the Camino again.
When we arrived in a tiny town with a new alburgue, it was full.  We then paid an arm and a leg for a crummy room in a hostal.   My disagreeable little toe started throbbing, so I finally stopped in at a Medico.  The Drs there said stop the Camino and go home-- so Mary and I brainstormed options.  We decided on more rest and a second opinion. 
We took a fine bus ride through more of the Meseta, and arrived at Zomora, another beautiful city, rivaling Merida. When we arrived at the plaza Mayor, looking for a place to stay, a darling little white haired woman approached us to say she has a small hostel right off the plaza.  Its darling with antiques. Gay, I took pictures. and it costs less than the crummy place in the tiny town. 
We went to the medico-- first she said stop walking-- then changed her mind.  She dressed my wounds and  told me to return tomorrow and then she will tell me more.  I think we will still walk for at least three weeks. And meantime we are in a great place.  We loved the medical staff and when I tried to pay they said it would be too difficult!







No comments:

Post a Comment